Thursday, May 13, 2010

I Made You Use Your Bra-ain!

Last weekend, one of David's math lessons was in adding and subtracting rational expressions that had quadratic denominators that had to be factored. (Yea, yea to you non-math people.) He did fine with my coaching, but when he went to do the review, he had trouble. He asked me for an explanation.

One of David's issues is patience/attention. The problem itself was not hard; it just took a while to understand how to handle it, and then several steps to work through it. So I decided to first send him the explanation - in pieces, with the request that he read each piece thoroughly before moving one to the next piece. I started with this:

2
x
1
ab
 
ac
... then went on to explain factoring the divisor and the other steps in 4 other "pieces." (I even goofed and copied down wrong on Part iii and had to issue a retraction!)

At any rate, I just received this email from David:

I DID IT! i even recorded my work.

I responded with:

GOOD WORK!!!!! YEA DAVID!!!!!

[...and our standing "joke" of praise...]

I made you use your bra-ain!! Ha!!!

No comments: