Monday, February 23, 2009

Disneyland Redux 2

Mikey has on-and-off been interested in our car GPS units. I have a Garmin device - I think a C650 - and it is small and will operate on battery power. Hubby's GPS is really old; it's a larger model and not terribly portable. Recently, Mikey has been staring intently at street names - or something - while we drive.

Last Saturday, as we got ready to go back to Mama's house, Mikey asked, "May I have GPS, please?" so I got mine out of my truck and let him hold it on the way home.

He did push buttons; we could hear them - they beep. Then the GPS unit said, "Turn right on Heather Street."

Now, the GPS gives directions only when a destination has been programmed, of course. And we needed to turn left. It took a moment to realize that Mikey must have pushed the "Go Home" button. So I told him, "Mikey, 'Home' on the GPS is Grandma's house."

I took the GPS from him and programmed it to go to HIS house. I also told him we would not be following the instructions exactly. As we approached intersections where I knew the GPS would give different directions, or if it did give different directions, I would reassure Mikey by saying something like, "We are going straight here" or something equivalent to explain our variance from the proscribed path.

We soon got close enough to "Mama's house" that the directions were accurate. However, as we approached one particular street, the GPS said, "Turn right on B---- street."

Hubby asked, "Why is it asking us to do that?"

I responded that it sometimes directs us around and in from the other side. He said, "Yes, but we would need to turn LEFT to do that."

We were stopped at a light, so hubby took the GPS and looked at the instructions - Mikey had managed to find a set of directions to Disneyland!! and executed them. We guess he thought if he programmed the GPS, the car would go there ...

No comments: