Monday, May 12, 2008

FAQ / In the beginning

Labor Day, 1998

"What did the doctor say? I was waiting for your call and didn't hear from you."


"Well, Mom, we were going to wait until you were back from vacation ..."


"Tell me now."


"The doctor said the boys are autistic."


Autistic. Rainman. Can't be ... Why them? Why us? What should we do?


Hours of searching on the Internet and a flight to catch in the AM to start ... a VACATION?


ABA .. behavioral diagnosis .. diet ... vaccines .. sleepless night.


Alarm. Get up. Get to airport. Catch plane. Labor Day weekend, 1998. Delayed landing. Moving in a fog between the disbelieve and exhaustion ... dinner ... bed .. woke up at 10:30 am EAST coast time (1:30 pm Pacific)


The beginning.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've ever told you how much I admire and respect you for all the things you do for David and Mikey. Thank God you are in their lives. When I see you with them, I am amazed at the patience and love I see coming from you. You are truly a miracle worker. And Marc is incredible too. He doesn't have to do what he does, but he seems to take on the role with love and pride. God Bless you both. With much love and respect, Lori